Teaching Here

What You Need to Know


Average starting salary is $40,246




University of North Carolina-Charlotte (Optional two year program) Cost: $8,000-$10,000


12 to 18 months

Becoming Certified to Teach

  • Overview
  • Placement
  • Certification
  • Graduate Degree

Certification Requirements

Teach For America corps members are considered Lateral Entry teachers in the state of North Carolina, and will be issued a provisional license. All Lateral Entry teachers must have a:

  • Bachelor's degree
  • Minimum 2.5 GPA
  • Passing score on the PRAXIS II test 
  • Passing score on the Pearson Test (Elementary teachers only)

Teach For America corps members will have two options for full teaching certification:

  1. A Teach For America three-year licensure program that requires committing to a third year of teaching
  2. Enrolling in a teacher education program at our university partner, UNC-Charlotte, and working towards full licensure

For elementary school, face-to-face courses are required. For middle and secondary schools, coursework is primarily online.

Graduate Degree Option

If they choose, corps members can obtain a master's degree during their two-year commitment in Charlotte. UNC-Charlotte offers a master's of art in teaching (M.A.T.) degree program exclusively for Teach For America corps members.

Corps members can also choose to enroll in the graduate certification/licensure program, which is completed in one year. An initial application fee of approximately $60 (subject to change at the discretion of UNCC) is required.

More information about these options will be provided to corps members upon acceptance.

Which subject areas can corps members be assigned to in Charlotte?

Our subject area assignments are dependent on the need in the school district. However, typically we place corps members in the following subject areas:

  • Math
  • Science
  • English
  • Social Studies
  • Spanish
  • Elementary

Where in Charlotte are most TFA placement schools located?

Our placement schools are located all over the city.

Are there tests I have to take for licensure?

Yes, teachers in North Carolina are required to pass the Pearson exams for Elementary or the Praxis II exams for all other assigned subject areas.

What kind of assistance is available to prepare for the exams?

We have a website available to all incoming corps members where we have compiled resources that will help you prepare for your exams. Many corps members also study together and share resources while preparing. 

I have a degree in education/teaching license. Will I still need to take the exams?

If you do not have a current teaching license, you will need to take the exams. Some teaching licenses from other states can be transferred, however, this is on a case-by-case basis. If you have questions about how to transfer your license or whether you'll to take the exams, please reach out to the region directly.

Am I required to take classes or earn a graduate degree while I'm teaching?

A graduate degree is not required. After passing the required licensure tests, corps members will receive their provisional lateral entry license, which is valid for 3 years. In NC, there are two options for corps members to earn their full teaching license, which is required after the 3-year provisional license expires.

  • Enrolling in a teacher education program at UNC-Charlotte, our university partner, to earn a graduate certificate in teaching, which will allow you to apply for your full teaching license.
  • A Teach For America 3-year licensure program that requires committing to a third year of teaching. Taking classes is not required with this route. Please note, this license may not have reciprocity with other states.

Can I earn a graduate degree in teaching while doing TFA in Charlotte?

Yes, and many corps members do! Corps members can earn a graduate degree in 1.5-2 years, depending on start date and course load.

Which university do you partner with?

We partner with the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Many corps members have taken courses there to receive their Graduate Certificate in Teaching or Master of Arts in Teaching.

What is the difference between the Graduate Certificate and the MA in Teaching?

The graduate certificate requires fewer courses and allows you to earn your full teaching license. The Master of Arts in Teaching is more intensive and requires courses beyond the certificate track.

Subjects And Grade Levels

  • Elementary
  • Spanish
  • Middle School English
  • Middle School Math
  • Middle School Social Studies
  • Middle School Science
  • High School English
  • High School Math
  • High School Science
  • High School Social Studies


Placement School Locations

Neighborhood Spotlights

There are a variety of communities from which corps members can choose to live—to eat, play, shop and stay.

  • NoDa
  • Plaza-Midwood
  • Midtown
  • Dilworth
  • South End
  • University

New York has SoHo, and Charlotte has NoDa (for North Davidson Street). This former mill-community-turned-arts-district screams bohemian chic. Just north of Center City, NoDa is home to a funky collection of galleries, performance venues and dining hot spots.


This 1920s revitalized streetcar suburb is one of Charlotte’s most ethnically and socially-diverse neighborhoods and the epitome of cool city living.


This newly-developed area near Uptown hums with shopping, dining and a stunning, brand-new Greenway.


​Built as Charlotte’s first streetcar suburb, Dilworth is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Bungalow-style homes and stately oak trees line residential streets, while a diverse mix of shops and restaurants compete for attention along East Boulevard, the main thoroughfare.


Dilworth’s neighbor, South End, is just a light rail stop away from Center City. It pairs an exciting mix of restaurants, antique shops and retail stores with a relaxed atmosphere. You’ll also find live music, monthly gallery crawl events and festivals like South End Soul (a five-day celebration of design, art and innovation).


In the 1960s, advocates for higher education believed this area’s rolling farm fields were the perfect place to build a university. Today, the University area bustles with attractions, shopping, dining spots and outdoor activities.

Community Spotlights

DigiBridge Logo


Founded by David Jessup, Jr. (Miami-Dade, ’09), Digi-Bridge aspires to create a generation of well-equipped 21st century learners through STEAM courses, digital classroom design consulting, and advocating to #bridgethedivide. As a member of our Alumni Advisory Board, David continues to bring his passion to the TFA-Charlotte community.

Profound Gentlemen logo

Profound Gentlemen

Co-founded by Mario Jovan Shaw (Charlotte, ’12) and Jason Terrell (Charlotte, ’12), Profound Gentlemen is an incentive based program designed to retain male educators of color through peer development, community building, and career opportunities. TFA-Charlotte partners with Profound Gentlemen every year to co-host Dream.Rise.Do, an event that brings the community together to celebrate black male educators.

WakeUp logo


Facilitated by TFA corps members and staff, WakeUp brings high school students together to cultivate and empower student leadership by uniting students in the community through service and advocacy. WakeUp students lead conversations around issues impacting Charlotte including housing, juvenile justice, education, and immigration in order to bring our community together.


Regional Expenses

Monthly Salary

Please enter numbers only

Estimated Monthly Expenses

Please enter numbers only

What's Left Over
Ongoing Certification Costs
You may be able to offset ongoing certification costs with an AmeriCorps education award. Learn more.
One Time Summer Start Up Costs
Estimated Start Up and Certification Costs